What is Pacifica House?The only short term in-patient facility in North San Diego County, Pacifica House is a home for hospice patients who require a higher level of skilled care to manage pain and symptoms. This six-bed house provides an atmosphere of comfort for both the patient and the patient’s family. The goal of our 24/7 staff is to control severe symptoms so that a loved one can return to familiar surroundings and continue hospice care at home.
Pacifica House sits in a quiet neighborhood in sunny Carlsbad, California. Its warmth and tranquility serves patients with the most challenging comfort needs while allowing them to experience meaningful time with family.
Patient Care Services Provided
Pacifica House Family Reviews
“A compassionate and comfortable setting for people unable to remain at home during their final days.”4>
~ Charles Hergesheimer, M.D.
“My mother was cared for at Pacifica House and the staff and facility were amazing for both her and our family. I can’t thank them enough for what they did for us. I highly recommend Pacifica House for hospice care for your loved ones.”4>
~ James B.
“A dear friend spent her final days here. She and her family and friends were treated with lovely kindness and dignity. The tender care was a blessing.”4>
~ Sallyanne M.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho is Eligible for Hospice?
Any patient who has a terminal diagnosis and two physicians certify the patient has 6 months or less if the disease takes its normal course, is eligible for hospice.
Who is eligible for general in-patient care at Pacifica House?
Patients are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and generally may be admitted for pain or symptoms that are uncontrolled despite aggressive treatment efforts or when death is imminent and symptoms are uncontrolled. Also, patients may be admitted when the physician and hospice interdisciplinary team (IDT) believes the patient needs pain and symptom management that cannot practically be provided in other settings. Some examples of uncontrolled symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Pain requiring aggressive and frequent medication titration
- Pain /symptoms management requiring frequent medication regimen adjustment
- Dyspnea or respiratory distress that is uncontrolled in an outpatient setting
- Uncontrolled nausea/vomiting
- Severe agitation/delirium
- Acute anxiety or depression secondary to the end-stage disease process
- Evaluation of hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, agitation with combativeness
- Other complicated care for stable or unstable medical conditions: frequent suctioning, dehydration, recurrent seizures, rapidly accumulating ascites, or rapid fluid retention causing pain
- To facilitate discontinuation of ineffective therapies
To learn more about admission to Pacifica House or to make a dontation, call us at 760.431.4100.
Address: 4411 Park Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92008